Move over avocado toast, you are soo 5 years ago- I'm sorry, I didn't mean it- I still love you Avo! But why should avocados get all the love? My beet toast with crème fraiche and dill is just what your toast has been missing.
I just love "fancy" toasts as I like to call them. I mean all I ever put on toast growing up was butter. But when you start to experiment, toast can be a blank canvas to play with. This beet toast with crème fraiche and dill is so fresh and tasty, and it doesn't hurt that it has such a gorgeous pink hue. I mean toast never looked so pretty right?
The crème fraiche and dill complement the beets so well. Add a pop of your favorite greens and you have a healthy lunch or cut them into smaller sizes to serve as an appetizer at your next brunch party.
- Crème fraiche can be found at your local supermarket, but it can be pricey. If you are looking to cut down on costs, sour cream is a great substitute. Both have a slightly sour cultured taste. In a pinch, cream cheese would work here as well.
- Wear gloves to remove the beet skins after you roast them, if not, your hands will stain (although I think pink hands are pretty cool). Also, allow the beets to cool before removing the skins. I know you really want to get to making this toast, but trust me, you will burn your precious fingers. After all, you need them for eating!
Beet Toast with Crème Fraiche and Dill
- baking sheet
- 2 medium beets
- 2 slices bread of choice whole grain, rustic or sourdough are good choices
- ½ cup crème fraiche
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup microgreens or arugula
- olive oil and balsamic vinegar for drizzling
- 2 teaspoon flaky sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 400°. Wash the beets and remove the tops and roots- no need to peel. Wrap each beet tightly in aluminum foil. Roast for about 50 minutes or until fork tender.
- Remove from the oven and let cool. When cool, use your fingers to slip off off the skins (make sure the beets are cool enough to handle). Slice into ¼-1/8 rounds. Set aside.
- Toast the bread until golden and firm.
- In a small bowl, combine the chopped dill and crème fraiche. Divide the crème fraiche mixture and spread evenly over each slice of toast.
- Place the sliced beets over the toast, overlapping so they cover the bread.
- Add greens, drizzle with olive oil and balsamic, and sprinkle the tops with the flaky sea salt and dill. Serve immediately.
*Nutrition information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. Nutrition information can vary depending on many factors, such as products used, measurements and substitutions, therefore it is recommended that you obtain nutritional calculations based on your own finished recipe.