Get ready for an easy-to-make toast that packs in so much flavor you will feel like you can conquer the world. Okay, that's an exaggeration- but fresh blueberries, cream cheese, and basil make this blueberry toast taste like summer- and that's pretty awesome.
It's Spring here in New Jersey, and that means fresh berry picking starts soon. Have you ever been blueberry picking? It's one of my best-loved things to do in the Spring- I find it so relaxing. It's also one of my favorite berries to experiment with in cooking/baking. They are so versatile in savory dishes like my Blueberry and Thyme Focaccia or sweet in my Bakery Style Blueberry Lemon Muffins. This easy to make blueberry toast is on the savory side, and I'm in love!
The ingredients are pretty simple and easy to find. I do use date syrup to drizzle over the top. It's a common ingredient found in Middle Eastern and Northern African pantries, but you can easily find it in well-stocked grocery stores and online. It's a natural, nutritious alternative sweetener made from Medjool dates. Don't worry if you can't find it, balsamic vinegar/glaze works just as well.
Blueberry Toast Ingredients
Guys- this has only 6 ingredients! You can even adjust the amounts- the bread is a canvas for you to play with.
- Cream cheese
- Lemon zest
- Date syrup
See the recipe card for quantities.
Feel free to experiment with quantities. If you like more blueberries, then just add more. A little more cream cheese? No problem- go wild!
- Strawberries - This toast would be wonderful with strawberries
- Bread - I like to use a larger slice of bread, preferably multigrain, but you can use any bread you like
- Balsamic vinegar - Balsamic vinegar works great in place of the date syrup
The beauty of this simple toast is in the fresh ingredients. Be sure to use fresh blueberries and basil.
- 2 slices of good bread; toasted
- ⅓ cup cream cheese, softened full or reduced-fat is fine
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest, plus more for topping
- 3-4 fresh basil leaves, sliced into thin ribbons
- 2 tablespoon date syrup
- arugula for topping; optional
- Mix the cream cheese and lemon zest in a bowl.
- Spread the cream cheese mix on the toasted bread.
- Divide and scatter the blueberries over the bread.
- Top with basil, arugula (if using), date syrup, and additional lemon zest.
Did you make this recipe? Let me know!