With only four ingredients, these Pesto Baked Eggs (shirred eggs) are a simple way to pack a ton of flavor into a small dish. Loaded with pesto, feta, and a splash of cream, these baked eggs are an easy breakfast that is perfect for individual servings. Serve alone or with a slice of crusty bread.
Tell me about about baked eggs
Baked or shirred eggs are a simple meal in which eggs are cracked into a flat-bottom dish and cooked in the oven. Shirred eggs were named after the dish it was originally cooked in, called a shirrer. I love that you can make more than one so that everyone gets their own little meal.
Pesto sauce makes the perfect bed for those cracked eggs. All the flavor comes from the pesto, and if you use store-bought pesto, then this is the easiest breakfast or lunch ever!
What you will need
You only need a handful of ingredients. Each ramekin will serve one, so be sure to grab as many as you need if you are feeding a crowd.
- Pesto sauce: Homemade or store-bought. Choose your favorite pesto (basil, spinach etc.).
- Feta cheese: Crumbled. I like to buy blocks of feta and crumble it myself. Much better flavor!
- Half and half or heavy cream: Keeps the eggs creamy.
- Eggs: Any size.
- Salt and pepper: For seasoning.
- Oil or butter for greasing the ramekins: I used Pam spray.
- Crushed red pepper or chili oil for topping (optional).
See recipe card for quantities.
A shallow baking dish, (such as a ramekin) works best. I used a 5-inch, 8-ounce crème brûlée dish. It was the perfect depth for this.
How to make pesto baked eggs
This one-dish meal is super easy to make. Start by pre-heating your oven to 375℉ then follow the steps below. Full instructions in the recipe card.
Butter or spray a ramekin with oil. Spread pesto sauce on the bottom of the dish.
Add crumbled feta on top of the pesto.
Add cream or half and half over the pesto and feta.
Crack two eggs directly over the other ingredients. Season with salt and pepper.
Place the dishes in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes until the whites are set and the yolks are still runny. If you like your eggs firmer, just add a few more minutes of baking time. Keep an eye on them, and remember they will cook a bit more after removing them from the oven.
Pro-Tip: Place the filled ramekins on a baking sheet. It will make your life easier when trying to transport them to the oven.
What to serve with pesto baked eggs
I love to eat these baked eggs with a crusty piece of toasted bread, but any type of bread will do. Try serving them with my smoked gouda and chive scones to help sop up all the yolky goodness. And don't forget the bacon!
Try topping off the eggs with some red pepper flakes, chili oil, Tobasco, or Siracha sauce.
These are best eaten right away, but you can gently rewarm them in a low oven for a few minutes or microwave them for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
Keep an eye on your cooking time. It all depends on how you like your eggs. You want the whites set, but the yolks runny. Like a more set egg? No problem, just add a few minutes of cooking time until the yolks are cooked to your liking.
A shallow, flat-bottomed dish works best. You can use a ramekin, a small ceramic or casserole dish, a 5-inch skillet, or a cocotte.
If you love eggs, then I've got you covered!
Pesto Baked Eggs
- 2 small, shallow baking dishes such as a ramekin
- 2 tablespoon pesto sauce
- 3-4 tablespoon crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoon heavy cream or half and half
- 4 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- cooking spray or butter for greasing
- Preheat the oven to 375℉. Grease 2 ramekins with butter or cooking spray.cooking spray or butter for greasing
- Divide the pesto, feta, and cream between the ramekins.2 tablespoon pesto sauce, 3-4 tablespoon crumbled feta cheese, 2 tablespoon heavy cream or half and half
- Crack 2 eggs into each ramekin. Season with salt and pepper.4 large eggs, ½ teaspoon Kosher salt, ¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Cook for about 10-12 minutes, until the whites are set, and the egg is still runny. If you like your yolk more set, add a few more minutes of cooking time. Serve immediately with toasted bread and a drizzle of hot sauce, if desired.