Your favorite bagel meets classic cream cheese for this savory spin on breakfast. These cheesy everything bagel grits are made with cream cheese, salty parmesan, butter, everything bagel seasoning, and fresh chives. Add a fried egg and you have yourself a hearty breakfast that satisfies.
You don't have to be a southerner to enjoy grits. Grits are made from finely ground corn and have a texture that is a bit gritty and sweet. When cooked with water, milk, cream, butter, cheese, or even stock, their texture transforms to a smooth, creamy consistency. They can be both savory and sweet, which makes them a perfect stand-in for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. These cheesy everything bagel grits are perfect for breakfast because they remind me of an everything bagel with cream cheese, and bonus- all the flavors are in the one-stop seasoning!
What is Everything Bagel Seasoning?
Everything bagel seasoning is your one-stop seasoning that is perfect for bagels, toasts, and just about anything you want to add a kicked-up flavor to. It usually consists of sesame seeds, poppy seeds, salt, garlic, and onion. I'm a big fan of Trader Joe's "Everything But The Bagel" seasoning but you can find it at other retailers and on Amazon.
- You can use old-fashioned or quick-cooking grits. I have tried them both and they work equally well. If you are in a hurry then the quick-cooking grits will work just fine. Be sure to follow the product directions for cooking the grits since they will vary depending on the brand (I like Quaker). I would avoid instant grits, they just don't yield the best consistency
- Be sure to buy plain or unflavored grits
- Feel free to add more salt, seasoning, cream cheese, or butter. It's really a personal taste when it comes to additional seasoning
- Top your grits with a fried egg for a richer, more satisfying breakfast
Cheesy Everything Bagel Grits
- 1 cup old fashioned grits regular or quick-cooking (not instant)
- ¼ cup cream cheese
- 3 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoon everything bagel seasoning
- 4 teaspoon chopped fresh chives
- Prepare the grits according to the package directions.
- Remove from the heat and immediately add the cream cheese, parmesan cheese, butter, and salt. Stir until the cheese is melted and well incorporated.
- Divide among 4 bowls and top each bowl with ½ teaspoon everything bagel seasoning, and 1 teaspoon fresh chives. Season to taste with additional salt, butter, or everything bagel seasoning. If using, top with a fried egg. Serve immediately.