This simple summer salad is a cinch to throw together. Instead of mixing the dressing separately and dirtying another bowl, I just drizzle everything over the top. I prefer the balsamic glaze so that it really pops next to the white of the mozzarella but you can use regular balsamic vinegar. Balsamic glaze is readily available at the supermarket next to the vinegars. This makes a great appetizer or light lunch served with some crusty bread.
- 1 lb fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1 large vine ripened or heirloom tomato
- 8-10 fresh basil leaves
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 3-4 tablespoon balsamic glaze (or balsamic vinegar)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- Slice the mozzarella cheese into approximately 8-10 slices, each about ¼ " thick.
- Slice the tomato into approximately 8-10 slices of the same thickness or slightly thinner.
- Arrange the salad in a single layer on a platter. Starting with a slice of mozzarella, then tomato, then a basil leaf. Continue alternating with the remaining cheese, tomato and basil.
- Drizzle the platter with olive oil, salt, pepper and thyme. Lastly, drizzle the balsamic over the platter in a zig-zag pattern. Adjust for seasoning as desired.